Murdoch's Tire Service was founded in 1959 by Ross Murdoch. The original shop was located on King St. next to Midtown bowling alley and relocated to Killaly St West later that year. The original set of employees were Ross Murdoch, Ozzie Gagnon, Tom Rohe and Jack Whitty. This ad is from December 23, 1959 after Ross took ownership of Groff Tire and Battery in Port Colborne. In 1996, Ross hired a contractor by the name of Albert Goosen to lengthen the two bays because they would not fit the full length of a car.
This is our first ever photographic evidence of our man in the tires taken in 1965 alongside our original panel wagon. Ross got the inspiration for this mascot while on a trip in Florida in 1965. He Ross saw a man stuck under the hood of a car. He pulled over to help and realized it was a mannequin. Ross was stunned to find out that there were some clever young children selling refreshments and they used the man under the hood as a ploy to attract customers. The rest is history.
In 1977, Don Murdoch bought Murdoch's Tire Centre. In 1978, Don partnered with his brother, Ken, and the two brothers have successfully worked together over 40 years.
Throughout the years, Don and Ken always lived by the lesson their father taught such as, "Always treat customers the way you would wan to be treated."
We love giving back and PORTicipating in the community that has served us for over 65+ years. This picture was taken in 1984 at the Port Colborne Santa Clause parade. In fact, we are still an active float in the parade to this date.
Over the years, we have always remained active in the community; including sponsoring teams, such as Frontenac Hockey for over 35 years, as well as sponsoring local school initiatives and donating to local charities and community organizations.
In 2004, the brothers were running all mechanical operations out of two small bays of the shop and felt limited for more production. They decided that they wanted t expand their capacities and embarked on an expansion that is 80 feet by 40 feet. It is all metal, heated flooring, five functional bays and one large door. It also created the addition to our customer service desk and the customer waiting area.
The expansion was finished by 2006. It was during this expansion that we changed our name from Murdoch's Tire and Battery to Murdoch's Tire and Automotive.
On Tuesday, November 7, 2006, we said goodbye to our founder, Ross Murdoch, at the Port Colborne General Hospital, in his 86th year.
Ross passed just after completion of our expansion and he was tremendously proud of his sons for the success they had brought their family name. Ross will always be remembered for his friendly smile.
Throughout the years, residents have recognized our man in the tires as a Port Colborne landmark.
The time the local police car drove into our man in the tires making front-page news.
Many times the man in the tires was stolen. He was found in many strange places over the years, including hanging from a bridge, and even has had a ransom attached to him.
We love hearing stories about the man in the tires from young and old alike. It's our history and a lasting memory.
Sign up to hear from us about specials, sales, and events.